What are the indications for plethysmography and use of code 94726?
The indications for plethysmography include:
- Diagnosis of restrictive lung disease
- Measurement of lung volumes to distinguish between restrictive and obstructive processes
- Evaluation of obstructive lung diseases, such as bullous emphysema and cystic fibrosis
- Measurement of lung volumes when multiple repeated trials are required or when the subject is unable to perform multibreath tests
- Evaluation of resistance to airflow
- Determination of the response to bronchodilators
- Determination of bronchial hyperreactivity in response to methacholine, histamine, or isocapnic hyperventilation
- Following the course of disease and response to treatment
This question was answered in our Coding Essentials for RT/Pulmonary Function. For more hot topics relating to respiratory therapy services, please visit our store or call us at 1.800.252.1578, ext. 2.