Laboratory Question for the Week of September 17, 2018

Laboratory Compliance Question of the Week


Can all laboratories use revenue center codes?


Revenue center codes are only used on the 837I electronic claim or the UB-04 paper claim form for hospital services provided to inpatients, outpatients and nonpatients. These codes identify categories of service for each subsection of the laboratory as well as pharmacy (coagulation factors and Rhogam) and blood and blood products (storage and processing fees per unit). Hospitals use these codes to group the charges for itemized hospital services. Independent laboratories and physician office laboratories that use CMS-1500 claim forms or 837P electronic format to bill for services do not use revenue center codes.

This question was answered in the 2018 edition of our Coding Essentials for Laboratories. For more hot topics relating to laboratory services, please view our store, or call us at 1.800.252.1578 ext. 2.

Disclaimer: Every reasonable effort was made to ensure the accuracy of this information at the time it was published. However, due to the nature of industry changes over time we cannot guarantee its validity after the year it was published.