Laboratory Question for the Week of May 2, 2016

Laboratory Compliance Question of the Week


How should we report a specimen drawn and billed by the hospital?


It should be reported on type of bill (TOB) 131 (outpatient institutional claim). Until the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) release further instructions about lab-only claims, hospitals should continue to append modifier L1 on the code billed, when it is determined that no other outpatient service will be billed for the same date of service. 


Disclaimer: Every reasonable effort was made to ensure the accuracy of this information at the time it was published. However, due to the nature of industry changes over time we cannot guarantee its validity after the year it was published.