When billed with an echocardiogram, LUMASON® (sulfur hexafluoride lipid-type A microspheres) for injectable suspension, for intravenous use or intravesical use code Q9950 has pass-through status and is separately paid to outpatient hospitals. When billed with liver ultrasound code 76705, will it also be paid separately?
The pass-through payment applies whenever Q9950 is billed, regardless of the exam being performed. The payment is for the product, not the clinical indication..
LUMASON® (sulfur hexafluoride lipid-type A microspheres) for injectable suspension, for intravenous use or intravesical use
INDICATIONS AND USAGE1
LUMASON is an ultrasound contrast agent indicated for use:
• in echocardiography to opacify the left ventricular chamber and to improve the delineation of the left ventricular endocardial border in adult patients with suboptimal echocardiograms
• in ultrasonography of the liver for characterization of focal liver lesions in adult and pediatric patients
• in ultrasonography of the urinary tract for the evaluation of suspected or known vesicoureteral reflux in pediatric patients
LUMASON is contraindicated in patients with:
• history of hypersensitivity reactions to sulfur hexafluoride lipid microsphere components or to any of the inactive ingredients in LUMASON
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION1
WARNING: SERIOUS CARDIOPULMONARY REACTIONS
Serious cardiopulmonary reactions, including fatalities, have occurred uncommonly during or following the injection of ultrasound contrast agents, including sulfur hexafluoride lipid microspheres [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)]. Most serious reactions occur within 30 minutes of administration [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].
• Assess all patients for the presence of any condition that precludes administration [see Contraindications (4)].
The risk for serious cardiopulmonary reactions may be increased among patients with unstable cardiopulmonary conditions (acute myocardial infarction, acute coronary artery syndromes, worsening or unstable congestive heart failure, or serious ventricular arrhythmias) [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].1
Please see full Prescribing Information including boxed WARNING at http://www.braccoimaging.com/us-en/products-and-solutions/contrast-enhanced-ultrasound/lumason/prescribing-information
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
LUMASON is manufactured for Bracco Diagnostics Inc., Monroe Township, NJ 08831 by Bracco Suisse S.A., Plan-les-Ouates Geneve, Switzerland (LUMASON lyophilized powder vial-25 mg lipid-type A/60.7 sulfur hexafluoride gas); Vetter Pharma-Fertigung GmbH & Co. KG, 88212 Ravensburg, Germany (Sodium Chloride 0.9% Injection, USP); B. Braun Melsungen AG, 34212 Melsungen, Germany (Mini-Spike).
LUMASON is a registered trademark of Bracco Diagnostics Inc.